Work for us
Transparency International (TI) is a civil society organisation leading the global fight against corruption.Through more than 100 national chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption, and works with partners in government, business, and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
Transparency International Defence & Security (TI-DS) is a global programme of Transparency International dedicated to fighting corruption in the defence and security sector globally. We work with governments, civil society, multilateral organisations, and defence companies to work towards a world with open governments served by transparent defence institutions that are accountable to ordinary people and whose primary purpose is the protection of all citizens. We’re a diverse and ambitious team with a wide range of backgrounds, from government and public service, to the military, academia and civil society.
Project Manager, Conflict & Insecurity
- Full time (35 hrs pw)
- Salary: £30k-£38k per annum
- London with substantial overseas travel
Corruption undermines government legitimacy, weakens the business climate, stalls economic and human development, and increases fragility and instability. The defence and security sector is fertile ground for corruption as it often accounts for large portions of national budgets, is highly technical, and has only a relatively small number of providers bidding for large contracts. It is therefore often emotionally charged, highly politically volatile, and relies on data that is rarely open for public scrutiny and oversight.
The vision of Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme (TI DS) is for a world with open governments served by transparent defence institutions that are accountable to ordinary people and whose primary purpose is the protection of all citizens. The defence industry supporting these institutions should provide capability based on clear national defence strategies in a fair and open market. They should be held to account through effective and independent oversight mechanisms rooted in functioning civil societies and efficient government procurement. We believe that peace and stability will only be secured when people are able to realise their ambitions under accountable institutions, and when citizens’ interests drive national policies and the decisions of their leaders.
Within the Defence & Security Programme, the Conflict & Insecurity Team works towards ensuring that corruption is recognised as a threat to peace and security; reducing corruption and increasing accountability in defence establishments in fragile and conflict affected states and advocating for interventions that encourage accountability and don’t contribute to or sustain corruption.
Our team is open and collaborative, and we offer excellent team spirit and an environment in which everybody contributes. Further details of our work can be found at http://ti-defence.org/.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the delivery of two key areas of work:
- a defence reform project in Ghana, carried out in close collaboration with the Transparency International chapter in Ghana and TI Defence & Security consultants;
- managing a £250k Defence Integrity Action Fund which provides small grants to TI Chapters to engage in anti-corruption work in the area of defence and security.
In addition, the role will support the delivery of a defence accountability project in Nigeria as needed. There will also be opportunities to manage and undertake research and support on the publication of reports in the conflict and insecurity team.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to develop their career by implementing and managing key projects for a global NGO. You will work as part of a dedicated international programme that is committed to fighting corruption within the defence and security sector. You will blend an international perspective, an ability to deal with complex problems and excellent project implementation and management ability. We are looking for someone who is motivated, organised, a structured thinker and good communicator.
- Manage the development and delivery of the Ghana project through working with the Ghana TI Chapter and Defence & Security Programme consultants, liaising with external stakeholders and oversight of the implementation of project activities;
- Provide capacity building support as required to the Ghana TI Chapter;
- Manage the project budget;
- Coordinate and manage TI Defence & Security’s Defence Integrity Action Fund;
- Support on the delivery and implementation of activities of the Nigeria project;
- Follow the Government Defence Anti-Corruption Index assessment process and work with relevant chapters globally to develop and deliver advocacy activities based on research provided in the Index;
- Undertake research into corruption and defence governance where needed and contribute to fundraising activities if and where relevant.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Educated to post-graduate degree level in a relevant field of the social sciences, such as security studies, international relations, political science, or governance;
- Significant experience in a professional environment in advocacy, policy or similar fields (including relevant internships);
- Have excellent people and communication skills and be able to network effectively
- Be able to work collaboratively in teams and with external partners and organisations;
- Have a proven track record in project management including administration, budget management, time management and delivery;
- Have relevant experience, perhaps working in the development sector, defence, on broader issues of governance, or in supporting nascent civil society organisations;
- Be able to assimilate new information quickly and present it succinctly
- Be able to manage your own workload within strategic priorities and with minimum supervision;
- Be capable of demonstrating creativity in finding solutions;
- Be able to work with a geographically diverse team and across different cultures;
- Be highly organised;
- Have no restrictions on right to work in the UK and willing to undertake regular travel to programme areas, including Ghana and Nigeria;
- Have a commitment to Transparency International’s core values: Transparency, Accountability, Integrity, Solidarity, Courage, Justice and Democracy;
We will offer you:
- a competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- up to 5% contributory pension
- a season ticket loan
- a flexible and friendly working environment
Applicants should send the following two items (preferably in pdf format) with your name and the role in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the role and why you are applying (1 page max)
- CV (2 pages max), with details of relevant experience
Closing date: Sunday 20 January 2019
Interviews will take place: w/c 28 January 2019
Please note that there will be a written task on the day of the interview for short-listed candidates.
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications. If you do not hear from us by the interview date, you should assume that that you have not been shortlisted. Only applications with both requested components will be considered.
Transparency International UK is an equal opportunity employer.