Work for us
Transparency International (TI) is a civil society organisation leading the global fight against corruption.Through more than 100 national chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption, and works with partners in government, business, and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
Transparency International Defence & Security (TI-DS) is a global programme of Transparency International dedicated to fighting corruption in the defence and security sector globally. We work with governments, civil society, multilateral organisations, and defence companies to work towards a world with open governments served by transparent defence institutions that are accountable to ordinary people and whose primary purpose is the protection of all citizens. We’re a diverse and ambitious team with a wide range of backgrounds, from government and public service, to the military, academia and civil society.
Project Manager (Middle East and North Africa), Conflict & Insecurity
- Full time (35 hrs pw)
- Maternity cover (9-12 month fixed term contract, dependent on start date)
- Salary: £30-38k per annum, dependent on experience
- London with overseas travel
Corruption undermines government legitimacy, weakens the business climate, stalls economic and human development, and increases fragility and instability. The defence and security sector is fertile ground for corruption as it often accounts for large portions of national budgets, is highly technical, and has only a relatively small number of providers bidding for large contracts. It is therefore often emotionally charged, highly politically volatile, and relies on data that is rarely open for public scrutiny and oversight.
The vision of Transparency International’s Defence and Security Programme (TI DS) is for a world with open governments served by transparent defence institutions that are accountable to ordinary people and whose primary purpose is the protection of all citizens. The defence industry supporting these institutions should provide capability based on clear national defence strategies in a fair and open market. They should be held to account through effective and independent oversight mechanisms rooted in functioning civil societies and efficient government procurement. We believe that peace and stability will only be secured when people are able to realise their ambitions under accountable institutions, and when citizens’ interests drive national policies and the decisions of their leaders.
Within the Defence & Security Programme, the Conflict & Insecurity Team works towards ensuring that corruption is recognised as a threat to peace and security; reducing corruption and increasing accountability in defence establishments in fragile and conflict affected states and advocating for interventions that encourage accountability and don’t contribute to or sustain corruption.
Our team is open and collaborative, and we offer excellent team spirit and an environment in which everybody contributes. Further details of our work can be found at http://ti-defence.org/.
The Project Manager will be responsible for overseeing and implementing country and regional projects aiming to reduce corruption risks and increase transparency in defence establishments across the Middle East and North Africa region, working closely with programme colleagues in London and in chapters across the MENA region.
You will provide technical support and ensure the meeting of milestones by project partners in countries including Tunisia, Lebanon and Palestine, as well as taking a lead on delivery of regional research and advocacy efforts, particularly in assuring maximum possible impact of the publication of the upcoming iteration of the Government Defence Anti-Corruption Index.
This is an exciting opportunity for someone looking to develop their career by implementing and managing key projects for a global NGO. You will work as part of a dedicated international programme that is committed to fighting corruption within the defence and security sector. You will blend an international perspective, an ability to deal with complex problems and excellent project implementation and management ability. We are looking for someone who is motivated, organised, a structured thinker and good communicator.
- Overseeing the delivery and implementation of activities in countries such as Tunisia, Lebanon and Palestine;
- Managing of project budgets;
- Producing narrative and financial reports;
- Building and maintaining effective relationships with donors and other international organisations;
- Working with TI’s network of consultants and senior advisers;
- Building capacity and expertise of partners for successful delivery of projects;
- Managing and undertaking research into corruption and defence governance where needed, and leading on the publication of reports;
- Working with regional chapters to develop and deliver advocacy activities related to the Government Defence Anti-Corruption Index and other priority areas.
To be successful in this role you will:
- Be educated to post-graduate degree level in a relevant field of the social sciences, such as security studies, international relations, political science, or governance;
- Have a proven track record in project management including administration, budget management, time management and delivery;
- Have experience in a professional environment in advocacy, policy or similar fields (including relevant internships);
- Have relevant experience, perhaps working in the development sector, defence, on broader issues of governance, or in supporting nascent civil society organisations;
- Have a solid understanding of the MENA region, with relevant language skills (Arabic or French) a bonus;
- Have excellent people and communication skills and be able to network effectively;
- Be able to work collaboratively in teams and with external partners and organisations;
- Be able to assimilate new information quickly and present it succinctly
- Be able to manage your own workload within strategic priorities and with minimum supervision;
- Be capable of demonstrating creativity in finding solutions;
- Be able to work with a geographically diverse team and across different cultures;
- Be highly organised;
- Have no restrictions on right to work in the UK and willing to undertake regular travel to programme areas;
- Have a commitment to Transparency International’s core values: Transparency, Accountability, Integrity, Solidarity, Courage, Justice and Democracy;
We will offer you:
- a competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- up to 5% contributory pension
- a season ticket loan
- a flexible and friendly working environment
The deadline for applications is midnight on Sunday 17th February 2019. Applicants should send the following two items, in one PDF file:
- Cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the role and why you are applying (1 page max)
- CV (2 pages max), with details of relevant experience
Applicants should send the application with your name and the role in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that there will be a written task on the day of the interview for short-listed candidates.
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications. Only applications with both requested components will be considered.
Transparency International UK is an equal opportunity employer.