Main Job Content
Title of consultancy: Strategic Consultant.
Application closing date: Expressions of interest to be received by close of business on Friday 17th February.
Approximate timeframes: Start date and working pattern to be agreed, but anticipate 80 working days between March and October 2023.
Location of consultancy: Remote, with one day per month in the office in Shoreditch, London.
Transparency International (TI) is the world’s leading independent anti-corruption organisation. We work globally towards ensuring a world where people’s lives, government, business and society are free from corruption. A world where, the health of our institutions is enhanced so they can better support the people they are intended for; a world where we can trust the integrity of those in authority and in business, and a world where there is no impunity for the corrupt.
Transparency International Defence & Security (TI-DS) is one of TI’s global programmes and is committed to tackling corruption in the global defence and security sector. Hosted by Transparency International’s UK chapter, the programme works with defence institutions, governments, the defence industry, civil society and international organisations worldwide to strengthen transparency, accountability and oversight in a traditionally opaque and secretive sector.
The consultant will deliver a number of discrete and time-limited areas of work to support the direction of travel of Transparency International Defence and Security towards a programme which is bolder in impact, has expanded reach, operates as a leading centre of excellence, and mobilises funds to enable delivery.
Deliverables and scope of work include but are not limited to:
- Develop, and support delivery of where required, politically attuned, ambitious, focused and coordinated operational strategies/specific and deliverable plans to achieve impact;
- Develop TI-DS implementation framework in line with operational strategies and with clear measures of success and pathways to achieve impact;
- Identify topical (long-running and/or current and high profile) policy issues and TI-DS policy positions, in consultation with the team;
- Identify objectives and opportunities for convening partners, stakeholders and coalitions to advance TI-DS goals; and
- Help identify new funding opportunities and provide input into concepts and proposals.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Significant experience of senior level policy-making, strategic and results-focused implementation planning and delivery.
- Knowledge of/expertise in the anti-corruption agenda, plus ideally defence and security and/or governance and international development.
- Understanding of the systems, processes, institutions and actors involved in global policy-making, how they operate, and how they can be influenced.
- Proven ability to facilitate team engagement and support collective ownership, as well as ability with and ownership of develop and communicate strategic vision.
- Ability to understand complex agendas and issues quickly, think strategically, spot opportunities, solve problems, communicate effectively, and drive progress at pace.
- Advanced skills in working politically, engaging multi-stakeholders, making use of prior contacts and networks, stimulating and shaping partnerships.
- Experience in developing results frameworks (e.g. theories of change, logical frameworks).
Submitting your expression of interest
If you would like to apply for this opportunity, please submit an expression of interest to email@example.com with ‘Special Projects Consultant’ as the subject and including:
- Your CV plus a letter of motivation (no more than 500 words)
- Your proposed daily rate in GBP inclusive of taxes and other charges
- Any constraints on your availability during the duration of the project
- Two referees – ideally from organisations you have recently worked with
For further information please contact: Josie Stewart, Transparency International Defence and Security Programme Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org