Work for us
Transparency International (TI) is a civil society organisation leading the global fight against corruption.Through more than 100 national chapters worldwide and an international secretariat in Berlin, Germany, TI raises awareness of the damaging effects of corruption, and works with partners in government, business, and civil society to develop and implement effective measures to tackle it.
Transparency International Defence & Security (TI-DS) is a global programme of Transparency International dedicated to fighting corruption in the defence and security sector globally. We work with governments, civil society, multilateral organisations, and defence companies to work towards a world with open governments served by transparent defence institutions that are accountable to ordinary people and whose primary purpose is the protection of all citizens. We’re a diverse and ambitious team with a wide range of backgrounds, from government and public service, to the military, academia and civil society.
- Full time (35 hrs pw), we would consider this on a part time basis for the right candidate (80% FTE)
- 12 months fixed term contract
- Salary: £30k-38k
- 25 days holiday (in addition to public holidays)
- Location: EC4R 1BE
The failure of many countries to provide security and justice for their people, or to forge stable and predictable relationships with their neighbours, is a root cause of some of the world’s most significant security challenges. TI Defence and Security (TI-DS) is working towards a world in which governments, the armed forces, and arms transfers are transparent, accountable, and free from corruption. We seek reforms toward open governments served by transparent defence institutions that are accountable to ordinary people and whose primary purpose is the protection of all citizens.
TI-DS works across three themes: with developed and emerging powers to create global standards for the governance of military power; on conflict and insecurity – to ensure policy makers recognise the threat corruption poses to peace and to reduce defence corruption in a fragile and conflict affected states; and tackling corruption in the global arms trade.
About the role
As Grants Manager you will be responsible for managing a £7m portfolio of grants focussed on anti-corruption in the defence and security sector. A key aspect of the role will involve working closely with both Defence & Security Programme budget holders and the Finance Department to ensure that financial tracking of grants is accurate and timely. In addition you will:
- design and implement a grant management system to ensure an effective and consistent approach to grant management
- lead on coordinating the production of timely and high-quality narrative and financial reports required by funders
- ensure that the Defence and Security Programme understands and meets all donor compliance requirements including those set out in the International Aid Transparency Initiative (IATI), due diligence and safeguarding
- oversee all sub-contracting to third parties including to Transparency International national chapters, consultants and other suppliers to ensure that appropriate procurement and contracting arrangements are in place and to maintain oversight of invoicing and payments
- work closely and collaboratively with other parts of Transparency International to ensure consistent and coherent management of the DfID grant overall
- work closely with the Defence and Security Programme Director to develop and monitor the annual Defence and Security Programme budget
- support the development of new funding bids
- maintain an overview view of new funding opportunities and a pipeline of submissions
To be successful in this role you will have:
- Educated to degree level or with equivalent professional experience
- Proven track record in a similar role. Experience in grant management, particularly large, restricted multi-country grants. Experience of DfID grants would be particularly helpful
- Highly numerate with a strong grasp of programme finances and managing complex budgets
- Excellent interpersonal skills; including the ability to work effectively in large teams and across countries/cultures
- Experience in supporting fundraising activity – particularly elements related to budgeting
- Experience of contracting and tendering
- Flexible and enjoys team working
In exchange we will offer you:
- A competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- Up to 5% contributory pension
- Season ticket loan
- A flexible and friendly working environment
Applicants should send the following two items (preferably in pdf format) with your name and the role in the subject line to email@example.com
- Cover letter explaining how you meet the requirements of the role, why you are applying and where you saw the job advertised (1 page max)
- CV (2 pages max), with details of relevant experience
Closing date: 9 December 2018
All applicants must have the right to work in the UK.
Please note that due to the very high volume of applications we receive, we greatly regret that we are unable to send personalised acknowledgements or give feedback on applications. If you do not hear from us by the interview date, you should assume that that you have not been shortlisted. Only applications with both of the requested components will be considered.
Transparency International UK is an equal opportunity employer.